We are open - safety is our top priority!
Posted on: June 1, 2012
Oral Sedation Dentistry: If You’re Afraid of the Dentist & the Needle!
The fear of going to the dentist is one of the most common fears, often stemming from a bad experience at a dentist’s office during childhood. Of course, dentistry practices and procedures have improved greatly in the last several years, and many procedures that were once very painful are now only mildly uncomfortable. However, many people still experience significant fear and anxiety when they even think of going to the dentist.
The problem occurs when patients allow their fear to cause them to avoid going to the dentist. Many patients put off going to the dentist until they develop a serious, painful condition that could have been avoided. Some patients will even endure great amounts of pain because they cannot bring themselves to make a dental appointment. Oral sedation can help patients overcome dental anxiety and get the treatment they need.
Oral Sedation Dentistry: For a More Relaxed Dental Appointment
- Oral sedation dentistry refers to the use of medications to ease a patient’s anxiety and fears. Patients who undergo sedation are awake and conscious during their procedures, but they are in a state of deep relaxation. Many patients report that they do not even remember most of the procedure afterward.
- Oral sedation can be used for any procedure, from a simple cleaning to more invasive procedures, such as dental implants. By simply taking a pill, the patient can begin to relax. Oral sedation can also be used in the hours leading up to the procedure to make the patient feel more at ease.
- Almost any patient can benefit from oral sedation, but for those who suffer from significant anxiety, it can mean the difference between getting necessary dental care and suffering from serious health issues.
- Patients who choose sedation often have shorter appointments. When the dentist is able to focus solely on the procedure and does not have to worry about the patient’s comfort, the appointment often goes by more quickly.
- We work with board certified anesthesiologists to ensure our patients are completely comfortable and asleep.
It’s Time to Relax!
Dr. Riaz Rayek and his staff at Smiles at Fairfax Corner want their patients to be able to relax and get the dental care they need. Dr. Rayek is a member of the Dental Organization for Conscious Sedation (DOCS) and is very experienced at helping patients overcome their anxiety. If you suffer from dental anxiety, ask us about your options for sedation dentistry.