We are open - safety is our top priority!
Posted on: August 24, 2012
Is Sedation Dentistry Safe for Adults & Children?
For patients who are experiencing anxiety and nervousness and need to undergo an invasive or lengthy dental procedure, sedation can allow them to completely relax throughout the procedure. When used properly, sedation is a very safe option that makes dental appointments much more pleasant for patients. Dr. Riaz Rayek helps people in Fairfax, VA have better dental appointments with safe, effective sedation.
What is Sedation Dentistry?
Sedation dentistry refers to the use of medication to place the patient in a very relaxed state before and during a procedure. With sedation dentistry, the patient is not put completely to sleep. He or she is awake and able to communicate, yet very relaxed. Many patients report that they do not even remember their procedures afterward.
- Nitrous oxide, commonly called laughing gas, is a form of sedation in which the patient inhales a nitrogen/oxygen combination during the procedure. This is the form most often used for children.
- Oral conscious sedation involves the use of a medication taken orally (in pill form) to help the patient relax.
- With IV sedation, the patient receives the medication through an IV. This form of sedation is typically reserved for very invasive and complex procedures, such as dental implants.
Is Sedation Safe?
If the proper steps are taken, and if the dentist has undergone the proper training and education, sedation is very safe for adults and children alike. The key is to find a dentist who fits this description. Dr. Rayek has undergone advanced training in sedation and has devoted time to learning how to properly administer sedation to adults and children.
- In addition to being educated on the use of sedatives, the dentist who is administering the medication should take the time to get all the patient’s information beforehand. A qualified dentist will first learn about the patient’s medical history and understand his or her individual circumstances before recommending sedation.
- Dr. Rayek makes sure patients are safe while under sedation by monitoring their heart rates and oxygen levels throughout the appointment.
- Safety should be prioritized until the medication has completely worn off. Patients who wish to undergo sedation should know that they will need to have someone drive them home after their appointment.
If you or a loved one needs to undergo a dental procedure and struggles with a fear of going to the dentist, sedation can help make the appointment go much more smoothly. Visit Smiles at Fairfax Corner for a better, more relaxed dental appointment.