We are open - safety is our top priority!
Posted on: July 16, 2012
How to Fix Crooked, Discolored Teeth
Having crooked, discolored teeth can make one feel very self conscious. A straight, white smile, on the other hand, can give someone a major self-esteem boost. With cosmetic dentistry, people with crooked and discolored teeth are able to correct these issues and obtain smiles they love. Dr. Riaz Rayek and his staff at Smiles at Fairfax Corner help patients achieve their goals using the latest in cosmetic dentistry techniques and treatments.
There are two treatment options which allow patients to get a straighter, whiter smile simultaneously: porcelain veneers and the Invisalign® system.
- Porcelain veneers are an excellent way to cover flaws and get beautiful results. Almost anyone who is unhappy with his or her smile is a good candidate for veneers. Minor gaps between teeth, discoloration, and slightly crooked teeth are all issues that can be corrected with the help of porcelain veneers.
- Veneers are created using thin layers of porcelain that are bonded to the fronts of the teeth. Patients are able to choose the size, shape, and shade of their veneers. While the veneers themselves are not permanent, the teeth must be prepared before placing the veneers, which is a permanent change.
- Veneers can be designed to be as natural-looking as the patient desires. Some people will want a more subtly attractive smile, while others seek a bright white, celebrity type of smile. One of the biggest advantages of using veneers is that the patient is able to determine his or her results.
- When cared for properly, veneers will last several years.
- The Invisalign system is a highly effective way to straighten one’s smile without having to wear metal braces. Dr. Rayek and his staff are Premier Elite Invisalign providers, meaning they are in the top 1% of providers in the nation.
- Patients who undergo orthodontic treatment with Invisalign wear clear plastic aligners the majority of the time for 1-2 years. Invisalign aligners are removed during meals, while drinking beverages other than water, and while brushing and flossing. The patient changes aligners approximately every two weeks, and visits the dentist for a checkup once a month. As the patient wears the aligners, the teeth are slowly moved into their proper places.
- There are many reasons patients prefer Invisalign to metal braces. Invisalign aligners are virtually invisible, making them an excellent treatment option for people who do not want to call attention to the fact that they are undergoing orthodontic treatment.
- Invisalign allows patients to fix their crooked teeth and eliminate stains at the same time because the Invisalign trays can double as whitening trays. Patients simply use whitening gel in the trays.
If you have crooked, discolored teeth, or if you have other issues that cause you to feel insecure about the appearance of your smile, the cosmetic dentists at Smiles at Fairfax Corner have a solution. We offer free consultations for new patients so you can learn about all of your options for improving your smile. Call today to take the first step toward getting a smile you will love.