We Are Open – Safety is Our Top Priority!
We’ve reopened in accordance with CDC, O.S.H.A., and State Dental Board guidelines to responsibly resume seeing our patients for regular dental appointments and treatment. We want to assure you of the measures we take to maintain a clean and safe environment so you can continue to receive needed dental care without fear or concern.
Posted on: September 13, 2012
Dental Implants vs. Dentures? Which is Best?
People who are missing teeth have two options for replacing them: dentures and dental implants. In the past, dentures were considered the go-to treatment for people who needed to restore their ability to eat and speak, and to improve the appearance of the smile. Now, however, dental implants are the gold standard of replacing missing teeth and restoring the patient’s mouth to full functionality. The best treatment for an individual will, of course, depend on several factors, but generally speaking, dental implants are often the best choice.
For patients near Fairfax, VA, the dentist to see for high-quality dental implants is Dr. Riaz Rayek at Smiles at Fairfax Corner. Dr. Rayek has undergone extensive advanced training in placing dental implants and has several years’ experience in improving patients’ lives with this treatment.
The Facts on Dentures
- Dentures are a set of false teeth that are custom-created for the patient. They can be removed at any point and are usually attached to the gums with denture adhesive.
- Even though today’s dentures provide a much better fit and are more natural-looking than in the past, many patients will still deal with slipping and poor fit. Despite a dentist’s best efforts, dentures will not feel like or function as well as natural teeth.
The Facts on Dental Implants
- Dental implants are individual replacements for missing teeth. The implant itself is a small titanium post that is surgically inserted into the jawbone, acting as a tooth root. A crown is placed on top of the implant to replace the missing tooth.
- In addition to replacing missing teeth, dental implants can also be used to provide greater stability for partial dentures.
The Benefits of Dental Implants
There are several reasons why dental implants are often superior to dentures, and why many patients prefer to get dental implants.
- Dental implants are natural-looking and are just as strong as natural teeth. They enable patients to smile, eat, and speak without fear of their dental work being obvious to others.
- With dental implants, there’s no need to worry about dentures slipping around. Dentures often become loose and ill-fitting over the years, but dental implants are as stable as natural teeth. They enable patients to feel confident about themselves.
- Dental implants are cared for just like natural teeth – with regular brushing and flossing. They eliminate the need to worry about denture adhesive or cleaning the dentures.
- Dental implants enable patients to eat normally, and to eat any foods they choose. With dentures, patients need to avoid foods that can get caught in or break the dentures.
- Dentures must be replaced every so often, as they become loose, discolored, or broken after several years. Dental implants are a permanent restoration.
Get Your Best Smile
If you or a loved one is missing teeth, or is ready to find a replacement for missing teeth beyond wearing dentures, dental implants can provide a permanent solution. For many, dental implants are simply the best choice for replacing missing teeth.
Contact Smiles at Fairfax Corner to schedule your complimentary dental implants consultation with Dr. Rayek.